Mort Diamond, who opened the shop 60 years ago — has since passed away — was 24 years old when he opened Taylors Luggage in New Canaan.
In 1916, Mr. Diamond’s father, Joseph, opened a luggage store called Diamond Luggage in New York City. Mr. Diamond, a lawyer from New York University, always felt growing up that he wanted to go into the luggage business.
Mr. Diamond entered military service when he was 19 years old and while stationed at the Colorado School of Mines, in Denver, he met his future wife Pat. After law school he and Pat reunited on the East Coast, having kept in touch regularly since their first meeting in Denver. They soon married. It was then; Mr. Diamond decided that practicing law was not for him. Mr. and Mrs. Diamond moved to Stamford, where they opened a small luggage store in 1951 – Taylors Luggage. The name came from a man by the name of Taylor — who was a very dear friend of Mr. Joseph Diamond — he owned Taylor Trunk Company in Chicago, with this came the birth of Taylors Luggage.
While in Stamford, Mr. Diamond made friends with several residents of New Canaan, which inspired him to move his store to the small community. Long time Realtors in town, Brotherhood and Higley, rented the space to Mr. Diamond and he moved Taylors Luggage to New Canaan in 1953.
In 2001, Wendy, Pat and Morton’s daughter, took over the business. Wendy, a graduate of Georgetown University, was in the corporate world for quite a while, but she got discouraged with the rat race. Since then, Wendy has the brains behind the whole operation and she has proven to be a genius at running a successful business, by always providing excellent customer service.